Sunday, July 10, 2011

Flower Patch Baby Blanket

The girl I nanny for turned 1 a few weekends ago.  When I started working with this family, she was only 6 months old, couldn't sit up on her own, and had no teeth.  Now, she babbles all of the time, crawls around, and is eating solid food.  I wanted to make something that her mother could put in her room, like over the rocking chair, to give her room a little more color.  So, I reverted to my dozens of bookmarked crochet patterns to find one that would be right for this little girl. 

The first thing that I loved about this pattern was that the center of each patch looked like a tiny flower.  It was also incredibly simple, and I was able to make each patch in under 15 minutes.  The entire time to complete the blanket took about 3 weeks, which included days when I wouldn't be able to work on the blanket at all.  When I had the number of patches the original pattern called for, I laid them out and decided the blanket was too short even for a baby and adapted it to make it slightly longer.  I also changed the colors around depending on how much yarn I had left over and to achieve the look I wanted.  I love the way the blanket came out, however next time I think I will make it a little wider by adding another column of flowers.  I could have also made it with cheaper yarn and left it the size it is now and it would make a really cute throw rug.  I would definitely recommend this pattern is incredibly versatile because it lends itself to any color scheme, size, or function.
In Round 1, pull the yarn through the
center of the ring when you make
the clusters.

Flower Patch Baby Blanket
Adapted from Lion Brand's Bright Flower Throw

Materials
J-10 hook
2 balls of pink yarn
2 balls of red yarn
1 ball green yarn
1 ball cream yarn
Large needle
*I used Vanna's Choice yarns - nicer than the bargain brands like Red Heart and only costs a little more.  Plus they come in balls rather than skeins and therefore are much better to use for smaller projects where you won't need a ton of yarn.

Pattern - make 36 with pink, 18 with red, 17 with green, and 10 with cream

To finish Round 1, draw a slip stitch through
the top of the beginning chain in the first cluster
Ch 6, join with sl st in first chain to form a ring

Round 1: Ch 3, 2-dc Cl in ring, ch 3, (3-dc Cl, ch 3) 5 times, join with sl st in top of beginning cluster - 6 clusters at the end of this round.

Round 2: Sl st in first ch 3 sp, ch 2, (hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in same ch 3 sp as sl st, ch 1, *(2 hdc, ch 2, 2 hdc) in next ch 3 sp, ch 1, repeat from * around, join with sl st in top of beginning ch.

To start Round 2, draw another slip stitch
through the chain 3 space right after the first cluster
Round 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as sl st, sc in next hdc, (sc, ch 1, sc) in next ch 2 sp, sc in next 2 hdc, sc in next ch 1 sp, *sc in next 2 hdc, (sc, ch 1, sc) in next ch 2 sp, sc in next ch 1 sp, repeat from * around, join with sl st in first sc.
Fasten off and weave in ends

To finish: sew hexagons together to form flowers, lay out and fill in with leaves.

Stitch explanation
2-dc Cl - 2 double crochet cluster - (yarn over, insert hook through ring and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through two loops) 2 times, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook (there should be three).
3-dc Cl - 3 double crochet cluster - (yarn over, insert hook through ring and draw up a loop, yarn over and draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yarn over and draw through all loops on hook (there should be four).
sp - space - the hole created by a chain (such as a chain 1 space).

For Round 3, chain 1, and then create the single crochet in the same stitch where you ended Round 2 with a slip stitch.  To assemble the blanket, I first sewed the flowers, then laid them out and filled in the spaces with the remaining green and white patches.  I used a basic whip stitch (over, under, over, under) to sew the patches together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may take a little while to show up, but don't worry they'll be there. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one!