Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Black Bean and Corn Salsa

I wish I had this post ready for Cinco de Mayo, but considering that I made this salsa the morning of Cinco de Mayo, right before the party I was about to bring it to, that wasn't going to happen.  But that's the exact thing I love about this recipe - it is so quick and easy to make.  The perfect thing to whip together before that backyard BBQ or impromptu night by the pool.

This is a welcome alternative to the tomato based salsa.  The corn kernels are sweet and the hot pepper adds a little bit of a bite.  The flavors are well-rounded and dynamic, making for a unique taste with each bite.  It even looks pretty!  Pair it with blue corn tortilla chips and you're all set.  Just make sure you leave the kernels enough time to thaw and drain or else your salsa will be rather watery.  This recipe makes a lot of salsa, so save the leftovers to sprinkle on tacos or salads.

I love to make my own salsa because the ingredients are incredibly fresh; it beats jarred salsa anytime.  Plus, where can you find a salsa like this in the store?  Another thing I love about making my own salsa is that I get to tweak the ingredients to fit my liking.  Don't like chunks of garlic?  Don't include them!  Want spicier salsa?  Use a stronger pepper!  Let me know if you make any additions or substitutions, I'd love to hear what you do with the salsa!


Black Bean and Corn Salsa
Serves: 6 – 8 people
Prep Time: 10 min

Ingredients
-     1 lb frozen sweet corn kernels
-     1 can (18 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
-     2 large tomatoes, diced
-     1 avocado, diced
-     ½ red onion, diced
-     1 hot long pepper, diced
-     1 clove garlic, minced
-     1 tbsp cilantro
-     juice of 1 lime
-   salt, to taste

Directions
Let corn kernels thaw in a colander (rinse with warm water to expedite thawing), making sure to shake out all excess water.  Combine corn with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.  Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.  

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and healthy. Lots of fiber, protein, and exciting colors in this one - a great vegetarian treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fresh and delicious, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made some homemade salsa this past weekend and was going to post the recipe soon. This looks delicious, I'll have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments may take a little while to show up, but don't worry they'll be there. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one!