Monday, August 13, 2012

Turn a Baggy T-Shirt Into a Workout Tank!

It seems that this post is better late than never.  To tell the truth, I have been on vacation for the past week, and just recently had a chance to download all of the pictures off my camera so I could finalize this post.  As promised last week, I'll show you how to make the work out tank I wore in my back workout post.  The tank is incredibly easy to make, with new sewing involved!  All you need is a t-shirt that's about 2 sizes too big, scissors, and about 20 minutes of your time.

I'm a t-shirt hoarder.  I have about two drawers filled with t-shirts - ones that fit, and ones that are slightly too big for me but I hold on to them as "sleep shirts."  The thing is, I don't need 25 sleep shirts.  I have shirts from plays I did in high school, shirts from races, and shirts from random trips and concerts.  Most of these shirts, even if they're a small, are too big for me, so I often forgo them for more form fitting shirts when working out.

I believe many of you have seen this tank floating around the Pinterest-sphere.  I decided to finally make two (a white and a dark) for my games at Wildwood.  I wanted something light, comfortable, and that I could completely destroy in the sand, sun, and surf and not have to worry about it.  So I went to the original post and put together some easy tanks in less than 30 min!  Plus, there's no sewing involved!  Here's how it's done:

Cut the collar, sleeves, and bottom hem off of the shirt.  Set that strip of hemming to the side.  Take some more off of the arms and neck to create straps about 2 inches thick.


Cut a v in the back of the shirt.  This is important for the next step.


Take that hem that you set aside and use it to tie the straps together.  This is why you want the V in the back of the shirt, it'll help keep the shirt from bunching when you tie the straps together.  Wrap the string down the straps, back up, and then tie the loose ends together.


That's it!!  This is such an easy way to turn that baggy t-shirt you'll never wear into a fashionable tank.  I love how you wrap the shirt around the straps in the back - it looks so cool and you don't have to sew anything!  Pair them with some yoga pants or running shorts and you're good to go!




I'm Topsy Turvy

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah sorry LT! I accidentally hit the wrong button when approving your comment. But thank you for the compliment! Glad you found this post helpful :)

      Delete

Comments may take a little while to show up, but don't worry they'll be there. Thanks for taking the time to comment, I read and appreciate every one!